Botox PRE – TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
In an ideal situation it is prudent to follow some simple guidelines before treatment that can make all the difference between a fair result or great result, by reducing some possible side effects associated with the injections. We realize this is not always possible; however, minimizing these risks is always desirable.
- Patient must be in good health with no active skin infections in the areas to be treated
- Patient should not be needle phobic
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment Alcohol may thin the blood which will increase the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory / blood thinning medications ideally, for a period of two (2) weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as Aspirin, Vitamin E, Gingo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vioxx, and other NSAIDS are all blood thinning and can increase the risk of bruising/swelling after injections.
Schedule Botox® appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which may be occurring, i.e., wedding, vacation, etc. etc. It is not desirable to have a very special event occurring and be bruised from an injection which could have been avoided.
Botox POST – TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
The guidelines to follow post treatment have been followed for years, and are still employed today to prevent the possible side effect of ptosis (drooping of the eyelids). These measures should minimize the possibility of ptosis.
- No straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for 3-4 hours following treatment. It is now known that it takes the toxin approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve to start its work, and because we do not want to increase circulation to that area to wash away the Botox® from where it was injected.
- Avoid manipulation of area for 3-4 hours following treatment. (For the same reasons listed above.) This includes not doing a facial, peel, or micro-dermabrasion after treatment with Botox®. A facial, peel, or micro-dermabrasion can be done in same appointment only if they are done before the Botox®.
- Facial exercises in the injected areas is recommended for 1-hour following treatment. This is to stimulate the binding of the toxin only to the localized area.
- It can take 2 -10 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the patient contact the office no later than 2 weeks after treatment if desired effect was not achieved and no sooner to give the toxin time to work.
Makeup may be applied before leaving the office.
Dermal Filler PRE-TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Patient should be in good overall health. A full medical and dental history must be performed on all patients for optimal results.
If you develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. prior to your appointment you must reschedule.
If you have a special event or vacation coming up schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
Let us know if you are prone to cold sores – a pre-operative medication may help prevent cold sores after treatment.
NO Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment.
Discontinue Retin-A treatments two (2) days before and two (2) days after treatment.
AVOID: Alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates (you may eat fruit), spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment
Dermal Filler POST-TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
DO NOT: touch, press, rub or manipulate the implanted areas for the rest of the day after treatment. Avoid kissing, puckering and sucking movements for the rest of the day as these motor movements can undesirably displace the implanted dermal filler material. You can cause irritation, sores, and/or problems, and possible scarring if you do.
AVOID: Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A., Vitamin E, or other essential fatty acids at least 3 days after treatment.
AVOID: Alcohol, caffeine, niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates (you may eat fruit), spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment.
AVOID: Vigorous exercise and sun and heat exposure for 3 days after treatment.
DISCONTINUE: Retin-A treatments 2 days after treatment. It is best to wear no makeup or lipstick until the next day. Earlier use can cause pustules.
One side may heal faster than the other side.
You can expect some bruising and swelling around the areas that were injected. Apply ice for the first hour after treatment for ten minutes on and ten minutes off.
You must wait 2 weeks before any enhancements.
***Please report any redness, blisters, or itching immediately if it occurs after treatment.***